Wednesday 30 September 2009

It’s Piracy All The Way

I am not one to begrudge paying a fiver for a good DVD, or even the extortionate price of a cinema ticket for the right feature. I like films, some of them quirky, some of them even Roman Polanski’s (Chinatown is one I could recommend). However with so much of Hollywood’s out-of-touch elite objecting to a child rapist serving his sentence, I cannot now decide who to boycott, and will have to simply watch illegal copies.

That list consists of people who favour the release of a man who has served not one day of his sentence (the 42 days he was incarcerated were for pre-sentence psychological evaluation). As far as I have read the sentence was never even pronounced.

The sentence, remember, relates to the admitted statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl. The remaining allegations were never tested in court because Polanski threatened to use his fame to intimidate the girl and her mother. In fact the decision to accept the plea to avoid a court appearance was the mother’s, and she was not blameless in pushing her daughter into the dangerous situation, and could expect to be ripped to shreds by the press.

However those remaining allegations, made under oath to a grand jury, indicate that Polanski got a 13-year-old girl drunk, drugged her and then raped her vaginally and anally. He raped her anally because she was not on the pill, so he did not want to ejaculate in her vagina. While untested, there is no reason to believe those allegations are false.

OK so Woody Allen has been crawling up his own backside since Sleeper, and I never saw the point of much of David Lynch’s weirdness (I am not against weird per se, some of my favourites are very odd; it is Lynch I cannot grasp). However it is a racing certainty now that any film one could buy will benefit someone on that list.

Therefore I will from now on be embracing and encouraging film piracy at every opportunity. I still want to watch interesting films, but I don’t want that to benefit apologists for a child rapist.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment